Friday, December 3, 2010

The eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleberg


Is anyone as excited as I am about the upcoming movie version of The Great Gatsby?  Recently, it was announced that Carey Mulligan was cast as Daisy Buchanan, alongside Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway.  Here's Carey Mulligan in rehearsal:

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels and along with Lolita, one of the quintessential 20th century American works, in my opinion.  What I think will make it a great movie in the hands of director Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Australia, Romeo + Juliet) is its highly visual and symbolic nature.  White curtains fluttering, the green light on Daisy's dock, Gatsby's flashy car, all of it great imagery.

I thought I was happy with the casting choices, although I mostly picture Tobey Maguire as the bewildered Spiderman:


and am not sure he can summon the seriousness and eventual wisdom of Nick.  Still, I was willing to give him a chance.  DiCaprio is the perfect choice for Gatsby, and I loved Mulligan in An EducationBut then I stumbled upon this site, where you can vote for your dream cast.  Some of those choices are very compelling.  Check it out.

Also, I'm wondering how Luhrmann will represent one of the most important symbols of the book, the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleberg, watching over the proceedings in their God-like manner.  I say a large billboard of Kanye West, with diamond-encrusted sunglasses and his perpetual pout.  I think he'd accept the part.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have never read, nor seen, the Great Gatsby. Clearly I am missing out, so I ought to change that and try and get my hands on a copy.
    You mentioned that you have difficulty imagining Tobey Maguire in a serious role. One of the best movies I have ever seen featured him in a very serious role. It was alongside Michael Caine and Charlize Theron... Cider House Rules. One powerful film in which he was awesome. He certainly proved he could act, so I'm confident that you won't be disappointed in him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention... I've given you a blog award, which you can collect over on my blog! Well done!
    Hugs
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy,
    I had forgotten about Cider House Rules--long time ago! Still, I have a hard time picturing him without that wide-eyed expression. Hope he can pull it off!

    ReplyDelete

"As soon as we express something, we devalue it strangely. We believe ourselves to have dived down into the depths of the abyss, and when we once again reach the surface, the drops of water on our pale fingertips no longer resemble the ocean from which they came...Nevertheless, the treasure shimmers in the darkness unchanged." ---Franz Kafka