Monday, January 6, 2014

Blue Monday

 
Today's supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. This has been analyzed, apparently, by measuring the "happiness index" of a group of people. Post-holidays, everyone is overweight and overtired, you see, and already failing miserably at those New Year's resolutions. It's cold and everyone's back to work, with a whole year of drudgery ahead. And although women seem to fare better on the "happiness index" for "Blue Monday," it's the most popular day to file divorce.
 
I acknowledge that often, I'm against the grain on these matters. Because I'm a stay-at-home mom, Mondays are not necessarily my least favorite day of the week. I like September and yes, I like January. It's a good time to start fresh, make lists, put my nose back to the grindstone.
 
Buck up, people! Think opportunity, not past failures. It's still one day at a time, just like last year. And if you need some help deciding what to do about those writing and reading resolutions you made before your depression hit, check out my post about next steps over at the LitChat blog, where I'll be contributing my encouragement and opinions now and then:

Next Year's Words

(And if you're interested, they'll be discussing this post on Twitter today, 1:00-2:00 PST. Use #LitChat to join in.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

"As soon as we express something, we devalue it strangely. We believe ourselves to have dived down into the depths of the abyss, and when we once again reach the surface, the drops of water on our pale fingertips no longer resemble the ocean from which they came...Nevertheless, the treasure shimmers in the darkness unchanged." ---Franz Kafka