Saturday, June 10, 2023

Summer Reading Project 2023

It's that time again! Every summer for many years, I have chosen a stack of books to tackle over the warmer and in theory, less busy, months. I choose books around a theme. I have spent summers reading books about trees, books related to France, books featuring notable houses, and last year, I read several Faulkner novels. That was one of my favorite projects so far, because Faulkner certainly is a project AND a mood, and it was an experience to be immersed in his world for that extended period. 

This year, I'm not feeling as ambitious. Lately, I read a lot for my jobs and sometimes have trouble finishing books in a timely manner. I wanted to choose novels with a decidedly summer vibe, books I might pick up while traveling. Books that really piqued my immediate interest. So I thought, why can't my theme be summer itself? I perused some lists and a couple novels came immediately to mind, and here you are, my choices for this summer's reading project, the Summer of Summer, which I'll read in this order and hopefully, share my thoughts with you. Click on each for a description:

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead

The Natural by Bernard Malamud

Flights by Olga Tokarczuk

Thirst for Salt by Madelaine Lucas


If any of these pique YOUR interest, join me. And I'll be sure to update you on my progress and my impressions of these stories. Happy summer!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with your summer reading. These all look like great books

    ReplyDelete

"As soon as we express something, we devalue it strangely. We believe ourselves to have dived down into the depths of the abyss, and when we once again reach the surface, the drops of water on our pale fingertips no longer resemble the ocean from which they came...Nevertheless, the treasure shimmers in the darkness unchanged." ---Franz Kafka