Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor...


This week, I was invited to do a piece for Roz Harris's The Undercover Soundtrack, in which she asks writers to explore the influence of music on their craft. I really enjoyed thinking about the ways other art forms affect my creative process. You can read my entry here, and also read a bit about Roz's own book, which looks fascinating and now sits on my To-Read pile.

Because it's been a busy, mentally taxing week, I took a break today and listened to a lot of music, which for me, invariably leads to Mr. Dylan. I give you "Maggie's Farm," which most critics read as Dylan's rebellion against the protest folk movement but which I prefer to interpret as the artist's battle cry in a world of philistines (except for Maggie's ma, who seems pretty okay).


2 comments:

  1. I learned something new about you just now. I didn't now you were into Dylan. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dylan's lyrics and his voice. Can't open this video in the UK, copyright issues, but I have my Woodstock tapes. The timbre if some voices connects me emotionally to different times in my life. Listening to Dylan always lifts my mood into spirited rebel mode. :)

    ReplyDelete

"As soon as we express something, we devalue it strangely. We believe ourselves to have dived down into the depths of the abyss, and when we once again reach the surface, the drops of water on our pale fingertips no longer resemble the ocean from which they came...Nevertheless, the treasure shimmers in the darkness unchanged." ---Franz Kafka